To make a decision to get a family pet is not one that should be made quickly without careful consideration of how the pet will fit into your family or your lifestyle. Like a child, a puppy will require care, money, supervision and love. A person or family might first consider what type of animal fits their (our) situation best…. a cat, dog, fish or hamster. Once a decision is made, then what type of dog best fits our family requires even more thought with all the breeds that are available. Therefore, it is a great idea to do research and get know the Rottweiler breed for a great fit for your family.
Qualities of a Rottweiler: Knowing the Breed
In order to know the Rottweiler breed, consider their best qualities.
- Smart and easily trainable
- Can be trained WHEN TO BE in protection mode and when NOT to be in protection mode
- Rottweilers were bred to work for, protect and please their owner
- Majestic loving creature
- Can adapt to most climates
- Needs exercise
- Rotts will shed unless brushed
- Early training is a must
- Excellent family dog
Words of caution about a Rottweiler:
When getting to know the Rottweiler breed, one should consider the strengths as well as weaknesses of the breed.
- over breeding has caused weak bones (this is why hip rating is so important-ask your breeder for hip quality papers before buying your puppy)
- Early training is a must if the puppy is to make a good pet as an adult
- Must have exercise to develop healthy bones and joints
- Diet is important – too much protein too soon will lead growth spurts causing bad hips and joints (this is true of all large dogs)
- Over feeding can cause an adult dog to become heavy and cause hip problems
Sites for Researching the Rottweiler Breed:
For Characteristics and Facts: Dog Time
Information on Socializing a Puppy: Animal Humane Society
For Nutrition Information: Shebang’s Natural Diet